This Grade II* Listed building was designed by John Crunden and dates back to 1766 where it was used as a ballroom for the Castle Inn and later a private chapel of the Royal Pavilion for the Royal family. As St Stephen’s Church, it was then bought and moved location to Montpelier Place in 1852 where it remains to this day.
As project Architect, we completed the refurbishment of the building to act as a day centre for the homeless for Brighton Housing Trust. The proposals for the space focused upon accommodating all existing facilities alongside a comprehensive upgrade of services in a sensitive manner to a tight budget and involved the repair and restoration of the original Adams style interior. Two new contemporary pods were inserted in to the main hall space.
The project won a Sussex Heritage Award in 2012